One project on the go is the repair of the Ottoman style Customs House on Suakin Island. As reported here at adroub.net NEWS the Turkish government promised a year ago at the Kuwait Development Conference to rehabilitate the structure. About 60 local workers have been hired to help.
The article notes the following difficulties.
- infrequent air service to Port Sudan
- US government warns their citizens about travel to the area
- government operation of touristic activites, rather than the private sector
- government decisions based in Khartoum, 1,100 km away
- permits required for travel inside Sudan
- police nervousness with tourists.
- relaxed lifestyle, access to water pipes
- restored historic buildings
- beautiful beaches
- Red Sea diving opportunities
- five star hotel has opened